The New Haven, Michigan area in Macomb County had its first French settlers arrive in 1835 when the first land was purchased from the federal government. The settlement was originally called “New Baltimore Station” and received its first post office on January 6, 1838, with Charles B. Matthews as the postmaster. Adam Bennett was one of the chief organizers of the village in its earliest days. About 2.4 square miles, the Salt River meandered through the new settlement.
The biggest boom to the growth of the area happened in 1859 as tracks were built by the Chicago, Detroit and Canada Grand Trunk Junction Rail Road Company. By 1865, under the abbreviated name of Grand Trunk Railroad, the railroad company had built a station to handle freight and livestock shipped through the area. As the tracks were being laid, a depot was being built. With rounded windows in the Italianate style, one end of the depot served as living quarters for the station agent and his family.
The first shopping mall in New Haven was Huck’s Plaza at Clark Street and Gratiot. It was built in 1980 by Ron Huck, who had previously operated his party store/delicatessen on the site for eight years.
Due to a number of subdivisions recently built in New Haven in the 2000s, the population has grown by over two thousand residents. New businesses abound on Gratiot, including an industrial park, a McDonald’s, and a farm supply store. Although it has seen many changes with many tempestuous Village Council meetings in the last two centuries, the biggest strength of the village has always been in its people. Besides the early pioneers mentioned earlier, there are more modern examples, such as the first woman on the school board, community organizer, job coordinator and humanitarian known simply as Mama Bea during the mid-twentieth century, along with others like Marilyn Kaake and George Drake, who have been the leaders in the preservation and maintenance of New Haven’s history.