Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit) is a city in Macomb County of the U.S. state of Michigan. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 32,442. Eastpointe forms a part of the Metro Detroitarea. It borders 8 Mile Road on the northern edge of Detroit.
The community was first settled by Irish and German immigrants in the 1830s. In October 1897, a Post Office was established there with the name of "Half-way", as it was near the halfway point of the stage run between downtown Detroit and the Macomb County seat at Mount Clemens. It incorporated as the village of Halfway in December 1924 and reincorporated as the City of East Detroitin January 1929. Prior to 1924, most of the community formed a part of Erin Township. The city changed its name to "Eastpointe" after the change was approved by residents in a 1992 referendum; the name change had been proposed to remove any perceived association with the adjacent city of Detroit; the "pointe" suffix is intended to associate the city instead with the nearby affluent communities of the Grosse Pointes.
The city's school district was unaffected by the municipal name change, and still is called East Detroit Public Schools. It has one high school (East Detroit High School), one middle school (Kelly Middle School), and four elementary schools. East Detroit Public Schools serves Macomb County residents, whose primary district boundaries encompass the City of Eastpointe and the southeastern portion of the City of Warren.